Out and About
Activities on your Guest House Holiday
Staying in Lochaber and Fort William and you really are spoilt for choice. It is for good reason that the area is the outdoor capital of the U.K. Spean Bridge is ideally situated at one of the few major crossroads in the Highlands. As a result it is possible to go off in all directions.
• Head south and down to the Corran Ferry and across to Ardnamurchan point; travel to Strontian, Salen, Acharacle, Castle Tioram, McDonald's smokehouse.
• Travel south and have lunch at Port Appin and on to Glen Coe and Oban.
• Head west on the A380 on the Road the Isles. Stop at the famous Glenfinnan monument and take in the viaduct made famous by the Harry Potter films and the breathtaking views of Loch Sheil. Travel onto the little fishing village of Arisag, the beach made famous in the film of LocalHero and finally onto the fishing port of Mallaig and the ferries to the Isles and the Isle of Skye.
• Travel to Invergarry and turn off and run along side Loch Garry and head for the isolated breath taking peaceful Kinlochhourn.
• Head out towards Kyle of Lochalsh and across the bridge to Skye.
• Turn off and visit the pretty village of Plockton and onto Lochcarron, over the pass of the cattle. The views at the top are fabulous and drop down into the village of Applecross to have lunch at the award winning Applecross Inn.
• Head north to Fort Augustus and watch the boats negotiating the locks in the centre of the village down to Loch Ness; on to Castle Urquhart on Loch Ness, , Inverness and back down the east side of Loch Ness, stopping at White Bridge and the Falls at Forres.
• Travel east on the A86 to Ardverkie House, home of Monarch of the Glen and on to Aviemore or Pitlochry and the House of Bruar.
Walking – If you prefer something more energetic then the walking is unrivalled. There are over 80 munros in the immediate area with so many paths and trails close by they are too numerous to mention.
Mountain Biking – if you prefer two wheels then the Nevis Range host the world downhill mountain championships although gentler trails are available along side the Caledonian Canal, in Loch Garry Forest and at Wolf Track at Laggan.
Fishing and Golf – game fishing is available at numerous local lochs and rivers and there are 18 hole golf courses five miles away at Fort William with other courses at Newton More and Kingussie. However, arguably the most picturesque nine hole course in Scotland is at Traigh. There is even a nine hole course within walking distance in the village.
If you are still looking for something to do there are:
• Boats trips to watch the wild life from Mallaig, Arisaig, Ardnamurchan peninsula, Fort Willam, Oban and Loch Ness. For Loch Ness try Jacobite Loch Ness cruises and tours sailing throughout the year
• Sailing, kayaking, White Water rafting
• Pony trekking
• Paint Balling
• Quad Biking
• Climbing with an indoor climbing centre at Kinlochleven
• Wild life and marine centers at Barcaldine and Mallaig
• Distilleries at Fort William, Dalwhinnie and Oban
• Gardens at Kinlochlaich, Attadle and Abriachan
• Hogwarts Express is one of the most scenic railways in the world
• Visit the ruins of Old Inverlochy Castle in Fort William
• And finally, take the cable car at the Nevis Range to the ski slopes of Aonach Mor.
If would like any advice or help on any of the above while you are on your holiday at Coire Glas Guest House Spean Bridge, give us a call or email and we will be only too pleased to help.
- Coire Glas Guest House
- Roy Bridge Road
- Spean Bridge
- PH34 4EU
- Tel: +44 1397 712 272
- - Email Us -